Recipe by Carolyn Malcoun
Serves: makes 5, 2-drumstick servings
- 2 12-ounce bottles raspberry or
- cherry lambic
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Asian hot sauce, to taste
- 10 chicken drumsticks, skin
- optional (about
- 3 to 31/4 pounds)
1. Bring the lambic to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to a lively simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lambic is reduced to 1/4 cup, about 40 to 50 minutes (watch the lambic carefully during the last few minutes so it doesn’t burn). Stir in the hoisin, ginger, five-spice powder, salt and hot sauce. Simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes more (sauce will thicken as it cools).
2. Oil the grill rack and preheat to medium, or preheat the broiler to high with oven rack positioned in the upper third of the oven. If using the broiler, line a baking sheet with foil.
3. Place the chicken on the grill or baking sheet and brush with some of the sauce. Cook the chicken, turning and basting with the sauce occasionally, until just cooked through, about 15 minutes total.
MAKE-AHEAD TIP: Make the sauce in advance.