Recipe by Laraine Perri
Serves: makes 1 cup
- 6 ounces Innis & Gunn Original
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 teaspoons white miso paste
1. In a heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the ale to a boil. Simmer until reduced by half, about 5 minutes, reducing the heat as needed. Add the sugar, swirling the pan to incorporate, and cook without stirring until the foamy mixture turns from blond to a medium honey color, 8 to 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, pour the cream into a small saucepan and bring to a lively simmer over medium heat. Whisk in the miso until fully combined; set aside.
3. Remove the caramel mixture from the heat, and slowly whisk in the warm miso cream. Return the pan to the heat, and cook over medium-low heat for 2 minutes. Let cool completely, then transfer to a jar and seal. The caramel sauce will keep up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator. Warm gently, if desired, before serving.