Recipe by Carolyn Malcoun
Serves: 8 servings
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup chocolate stout
- 1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips
- TOPPING & ASSEMBLY
- 1 prepared 9-inch graham cracker or chocolate cookie crust
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar chocolate shavings or more chocolate chips for garnish
1. MAKE THE FILLING: In a large saucepan, whisk together the cornstarch, brown sugar and salt in a large saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk and beer, and bring to a low boil, stirring occasionally, over medium heat. When the mixture begins bubbling, whisk constantly for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in chocolate until melted.
2. Pour the chocolate mixture into crust and chill until cold.
3. ASSEMBLE THE PIE: Beat together whipping cream and powdered sugar until soft peaks form. Spread over the top of the pie and top with chocolate shavings or chips, if desired.
A kriek adds tart fruitiness, like a cherry on top of this decadent dessert.