Recipe by Glen Ishii
- Green Tea Panna Cotta:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 sheets gelatin
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon macha powder (ground green tea)
- 1 2⁄3 cup Shiratama-ko (glutinous rice flour)
- 2⁄3 cup water
- Hitachino Nest White Ale Ice Cream:
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups Hitachino Nest White Ale
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon molasses
Green Tea Panna Cotta:
• In a saucepan, combine whipping cream, vanilla extract, sugar and macha powder and mix until smooth.
• Bring mixture to a boil, then turn down heat and let simmer until reduced by one third.
• In a bowl, soften gelatin sheets in lukewarm water.
Add gelatin to cream mixture and stir.
• Pour into a 9-by-13-inch baking pan and refrigerate for
3 to 4 hours until firm.
• In a bowl, combine Shiratama-ko and water and mix into a smooth dough. Roll into nickel-sized balls and set aside.
Hitachino Nest White Ale Ice Cream:
• In a separate saucepan, combine milk, sugar and corn syrup; bring to a boil; remove from heat and cool slightly.
• Slowly stir mixture into the egg yolks, then add the ale.
• Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions to finish the ice cream.
• Slice panna cotta into 1-inch cubes and place in a pint or drinking glass. Layer five of the Shiratama balls followed by a scoop of the Hitachino White Ale ice cream and a drizzle of molasses on top.