Recipe by Nathan Myers
Serves: 8 to 10
- 2 large Haas avocados, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 bratwurst, halved and sliced
- juice from six key limes
- 1⁄2 cup red and orange bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup white onion, diced
- 1 medium Serrano pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 12 oz. can German lager
- 1⁄4 cup teaspoons olive oil
- 1 16 oz. jar sauerkraut
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 loaf Bavarian black bread
• Create the guacamole base: In a medium bowl, add the red onion, bell peppers, Serrano chili, cilantro and lime juice. Add the avocado and mash with a fork, keeping the mixture chunky.
• In a separate bowl, combine the white onion, chopped bratwurst and beer. Let sit at least one hour, then drain the beer and remove the onion. In a medium pan, grill the bratwurst until fully cooked, let cool, then add to the guacamole.
• In a small bowl, stir the olive oil and Dijon mustard until blended. Cut the bread into thin slices and spread each with the mustard-oil mix. Bake bread slices in a 400º oven for 10 minutes and let cool.
• Serve the guacamole with the Bavarian bread crostini and a side of sauerkraut, and pair with a German weissbier.