I love reading RateBeer.com’s annual Best Of lists, especially when they address a hotly debated topic. Today, the website released a very anticipated list: The Best Beers By Style Category. Why so anticipated? Imperial IPAs.
We like talking about imperial IPAs here at DRAFT. It turns out, so do you. With the new list, we have the top 15 imperial IPAs as scored by the online review website’s users. You probably won’t agree. I probably don’t agree. It would be amazing if at least one person looked at this list and said, “Yeah, that’s about right.” That never happens.
Without further delay, here’s the list:
1. Russian River Pliny the Elder
2. Russian River Pliny the Younger
3. Alchemist Heady Topper
4. Bell’s Hopslam
5. Three Floyds Dreadnaught Imperial IPA
6. Hill Farmstead Abner
7. Stone Enjoy By IPA
8. Lawson’s Finest Double Sunshine IPA
9. Firestone Walker Double Jack IPA
10. Hill Farmstead Society & Solitude #5
11. Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA
12. Surly Abrasive Ale
13. Hill Farmstead Society & Solitude #6
14. Anchorage Bitter Monk Belgian Style Double IPA
15. Hill Farmstead Double Citra tweet
IN OTHER IPA NEWS:
* Surly is releasing a new extremely limited, very unusual IPA called Asator Viking. It’s an oak-aged IPA brewed with peated malt, and it’s only available this Saturday at a metal concert in Minneapolis, and Wednesday, Feb. 12 at the brewery’s taproom.
* Stone is getting into the session IPA game. Yesterday the San Diego brewery tweeted a mock-up of its newest beer, Stone Go To IPA, which should hit shelves shortly.
* Along with the news that Vermont’s The Alchemist is opening a second brewery, co-owner/brewmaster John Kimmich recently announced he’s adding a second beer to his Heady-only canned lineup: Focal Banger IPA, which will hit shelves once the new brewery is up and running. Until then, hunt down the new beer on draft throughout the brewery’s accounts.
* Boston Beer’s first West Coast-style IPA, Samuel Adams Rebel IPA, is finally on shelves. Go check it out.